What are the black spots on car glass for? I have noticed that every car has a dense black spot around the edge of the glass, can anyone tell me what this black spot does?
  • Mamak Talk
  • 214 followers

Get a deal on your trade in within 24 hours!

users traded-in for dream car
Add your car

Upgrade

Honda Accord

Comments

Callistus Ho

one might ask: what are the black dots on my windshield? Every windshield has peculiar patterned black stripes and dots on the edge of their windshield, but what is their purpose? The black band and spots on the windshield are called the frit. An important windshield component, the frit is a black enamel band that is quite literally baked into the edges of the windshield glass, this is how the glass is bonded to the frame of the vehicle. When your windshield needs to be replaced or repaired, a technician uses the frit as a bonding point between glass and frame. The frit not only seals the union, but it also has the advantage of providing a polished appearance as it conceals the adhesive. However, it does not stop there - the frit has a dual function. The inward facing side of the frit allows adhesive to bond to the windshield, while the outward facing portion serves as a UV radiation shield. In essence, this protection prevents long-term damage from continuous exposure to direct sunlight, which can damage or weaken the adhesion over time. Speaking of sun exposure, the frit also provides some heat dissipation as the dots do provide minor sun shade.

13 Dec

·

Nabil Biha

Its called as the frit. Its purpose is to hide adhesive from prolonged exposure to the sun and give it a more "polished" look as well as to dissipate heat away from the windshield.

12 Dec

·

Saiful Azzam Khairummuzammil

To protect the edges during production and hide defects when installing on windscreen. Had it been clear, you would see the glue and unpleasant defects.

11 Dec

·

susan winter

Prevent glare maybe?

9 Dec

·

lancerlot

For heat absorption, if there’s no place to absorb heat then the glass can explode💥 when it’s too hot…

9 Dec

·

View More Comments