WapCar Help
Are there big differences in quality of engine oil ranging from prices? Cheap engine oil harms the car? I want to go to the service and change the engine oil soon. Some of my friends told me that it should be careful to choose the engine oil for the car. Cheap engine oil will do harm for the car in the long run and cause high maintenance cost. Is this true? Any good engine oil you guys can recommend?
  • Mamak Talk
  • 214 followers

Hassle-free purchasing, get your next car fast!

users traded-in for dream car
Add your car

Upgrade

Honda BR-V

Comments

Azmer

It depends based on lot of factor. 1. The engine mileage. As your engine mileage goes up especially for NA engines, it doesn't bother to use slightly cheap oil but keep the service interval shorter to prevent the oil viscosity too thin. 2. Yes, there a some cheap oil available at a very low prices but some of them is recycled oil that is collected then filtered, repacking. Buy from reliable source only. Highly recommend to buy from petrol stations, service centre or specific spare part dealer that sell only genuine oils. 3. Yes there a lot of differences between cheap and high quality engine oil. Quality oil will blended with some additive that keep the oil flow stable and keep the engine temperature stable at any situation. Thats why Liqui Moly lubricant do mention their Molybdenum additive and Petronas with the CoolTech additive meanwhile cheap engine oil but do a single task, lubricate the engine only. Anyway, just ask from your mechanic and technicians about their opinions. Hope this helps, have a good day guys

11 Jan

·

Zi Xuan Ong

Get a quality engine oil with proper certifications like API, ACEA or OEM approvals. Most importantly, it is genuine engine oil, not those recycle oil, and replace them within appropriate oil change interval. Then you will have the peace of your mind.

6 Dec

·

timothy saw

Also want to know. I used to go to the service and just leave it to the guy🙃🙃

6 Dec

·

mike lee

Yes!!! Engine oil really matters. 🙃Better buy those more expensive engine oil, after all you get what you pay for. I usually use Semi 10W-40 and Fully 5W-40 / 5W-50. It won't turn black so easily.

5 Dec

·

kelvin lam

5w40 fully is good. 

5 Dec

·

View More Comments