** This article is published on WapCar Community. Click the link below to enter the community for car enthusiasts in Malaysia
2018 Proton X70 1.8 TGDI Premium 2WD
Time of purchase: 28th Oct. 2019
Price of vehicle: RM 123,800
Reason why I bought this car
family needs, travel convenience, needed for a premium update
Car selection process
- I have a budget of RM 150,000.
Model(s) that I have considered include: Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5
Based on the specs and the built quality, the Proton X70 really attracts on the looks, very nice interior, very comfortable ride, good value for money, quiet and comfortable, high level of safety features.
- I have already done 20,000 km.
I'm Proton X70 1.8TGDI Premium CBU user for 1year 2 months, and my car did 20k of mileage. This car was a very premium for the class and price range, I never had any issues or comments with the car, I was very happy travelling with my families every time we go for a long-distance journey. I'm actually was looking into X50 2020 1.5T Flagship to trade in my Perodua Myvi 1.5. Since the after-sales and the my X70 problem not solved I decided to hold X50 purchase thoughts. I didn't want to make it as a problem, at the same time I want to alert certain CBU users and also Proton users. We as a middle-class family we can't afford to buy an expensive car, that's why we find an alternative to buy a national car. X70 was a great opportunity for a middle-class family like me to own a continental like car with advance features. It was really sad too when the CKD version comes with more features and advance gearbox. I was still happy with what I had, till this problem arises and how the problem going to solve, Proton is asking me to send to SC to open and check the gearbox, how long it must be at SC, the car is just 1 year old. I can't afford to send the car each time to SC, and the problem persists. Even it is a proton or a BMW we are buying it because we trust.
These are the problems arises
1. The steering always steer to the left from , what proton did was an alignment every time I raise this issue, the problem still there.
2. My car gear change when I flaw the throttle very harsh and scary, this happens the 4th month when I brought the car for a long drive to Cameron.
3. 2nd hard gear change is from way down from Genting it just drop very harshly from 6th to 4th suddenly then it ran smoothly.
4. 3rd hard gear change when it was on Adaptive Cruise Control from Malacca when a car comes in front it suddenly dropped very harshly.
5. My car always wobbles/vibrate when the speed 50kmh -80kmh after that speed it rides smoothly.
6. My car always wobbles/vibrate when climb uphill 70kmh- 100kmh. This is even happens either I drive the car or its on Adaptive Cruise Control.
7. Already two time I address this issue to proton, proton said there is software update for CBU models which is latest software is 005 and my model was running on 000 software update. Proton didn't even notify us until my 3rd service, only when the problem arise they update the software.
8. Proton said they need to open my gearbox to check why it wobbles/vibrate. How sure this will be solved, my car is just 1 year old and I'm not confident with what they going to do. I just don't want another new problem arise from this issue.
9. I'm just not happy on how proton is handling this issue, is this how they solve issue, every time I need to send the car for the whole day and they problem still there.
10.This is really not helpful, my time and my money to send the car and had to take grab to work.
11. Even my friends warn me to not buy x70 when it launch, I bought it on the confident that they might have improved and I would like to support proton.
12. To all x70 CBU owners kindly go to service center and update your TCU software.
13. Very seldom I use this car and it gives this kind of problems, my daily drive Myvi is even better and I had no issues even though it has done 160k km.
14. I was even thinking of buying x50, after all this matter with x70 I have no confidence with next proton cars.
15. Hopefully YouTube reviewers can help me on this matter to add in your reviews because before buying anything we always trust your reviews before buying new cars.
Pros & Cons
good car, nice ride, safety features
After sales and problem troubleshooting
Total Score: 4
Quality & Features: 4
Fuel Economy: 3
Price & Cost: 4
I'm just hoping Proton will come up with a good solution for me
After reading a countless number of Owner Review stories, are you interested in sharing your own story also? WapCar sincerely invites YOU to share the genuine feelings of your car!
You may receive special souvenirs from WapCar! Sign up now to know more! WapCar staff will contact you shortly after you sign up.