1991 BMW E30 325i
Reasons why I bought this car
Brother-in-law bought under my name, for his daily commuting. Eventually, the car was a little under-powered for spirited drives and track days, and he modified it with parts bought from the US. I inherited the car after he left for England, and had been driving it since.
Car selection process
- I had a budget of RM30,000.
- Models that I have considered include: BMW E36, Corolla AE101, Altezza.
- Reasons why I chose this car: Unique. and I have always been a classic car lover.
- I have already done 10,000 km.
This is a 2nd/weekend car. BMW E30 is a pain to maintain due to its age. There will be many wear and tear parts that need changing (it is, after all, a 30-year-old car), but a very good car to drive and cruise (with the modifications done) nonetheless. It will definitely attract fellow enthusiasts wherever it goes. The only time I'll sell this car is if I get a 2-door E30, or an E36 M3.
Pros & Cons
- classic status and rather rare
- head turner by enthusiasts
- good acceleration and speed (after the modification)
- good for track, drift and spirited drive
- fasts enough, for a 30-year-old car
- high fuel consumption
- many wear and tear parts need to change
- parts can be expensive, or hard to find
Total Score: 5
Quality & Features: 3
Ride Comfort: 3
Fuel Economy: 2
Price & Cost: 4
A few random dudes actually stopped and chatted with me asking about the car and sharing their E30 stories whenever they see my car is in workshop, or carpark, or any car event. Definitely a feel good feeling when you get acknowledgement about the choice of your car.