** This article is published on WapCar Community, represent the opinion of users. Click the link below to enter the community for car enthusiasts in Malaysia
Basic information about my car:
1969 Volkswagen Beetle, Air Cooled, RM 9,569.50
Reasons why I bought this car(purpose):
Mum bought the car when she was pregnant with me in 1970. Back then RM value was really strong. This VW would cost RM40,000 at least in today's market standards.
I had to pay for this VW when I took it over from mum in 1989. Have always loved the engine sound and how we grew up in this VW all through the years.
Car selection process
● I had a budget of: RM5,500 was the amount I had to pay mum after Form 6.
● Models that I have considered include: None at that time except maybe another VW.
Reasons why I chose this car
The tagline for VW then was THE NAME YOU CAN RELY ON. This car is literally indestructible. Have driven her over all kinds of terrain, long distance, short distance with creeping traffic jams of more than 3 hours and it never let me down.
You don't need a drive shaft as it is rear powered, you don't need a radiator as it is air cooled, you don't need extra belts as this VW only needs 1 belt to function. You really save on wear and tear as they dont make them like this nowadays.
I have already done: 644,000 km.
It has been in the family now for 52 years, it is still ready for any drive anywhere at a moment's notice. If I wanted to travel to Genting Highlands or to Bukit Kayu Hitam, just fill up the fuel tank and she is ready to go. She has a name -Woggie. To compare this car to today's comforts of course she can't match, but you take on a reliable engine, it will get you there even though 4 feet deep flooded roads. I'd say the last car to conk out will be a VW.
Pros and Cons
Pros of my car
- Stong metal build
- Reliale electrics
- Little maintenance required
- Listen to your car and you will know when it's time she requires service -Be a car whisperer.
- Start and drive -no need warm up
- No air con
- Top speed only at 130km no more faster than that
- Leaks a little oil -it tends to mark its spot when it stops -signature of air cooled engines
- Must start her every day if you want her to be healthy if not after 5 days no start she will grumble
- What can i say when she has been with me since birth until today and runs really awesome. Many detractors will say otherwise but when you own a vintage (more than 50 years is considered in this category, treat her like a lady, pamper and talk to her often. You will feel the beauty of the drive, not the destination when you plan it well.
Total Score: 4
Quality & Features: 5
Ride comfort: 5
Fuel Economy: 4
Price & cost: 5
It saved my life once . Had a side massive impact and the beetle took the brunt of the force. I was not injured and the other car suffered probably in human terms a broken bumper, fender, mirror etc.
What can I say when she has been with me since birth until today and runs really awesome. Many detractors will say otherwise but when you own a vintage (more than 50 years is considered in this catergory) , treat her like a lady , pamper and talk to her often . You will feel the beauty of the drive not the destination when you plan it well .
After reading a countless number of Owner Review stories, are you interested in sharing your own story also? WapCar sincerely invites YOU to share the genuine feelings of your car!
You may receive special souvenirs from WapCar! Sign up now to know more! WapCar staff will contact you shortly after you sign up.