** This article is published on WapCar Community, represent the opinion of users. Click the link below to enter the community for car enthusiasts in Malaysia
Basic information about my car:
Proton Iriz 1.3MT (2019)
Reasons why I bought this car(purpose)
- Need second car since my wife is expanding her baking business.
- Before this, both of us are sharing our Proton Iriz 1.3AT (Model 2015).
- During the Lockdown 1.0, I was WFH and so my wife can utilise the 1st car to do delivery to her customers.
- After the Lockdown 1.0 had been lifted, her business was expanding and we need to consider a 2nd car that can be supported by her business.
Car selection process
● I had a budget of: RM10k for deposit and installment not exceed RM350/month
● Models that I have considered include: Myvi G3 1.3MT, Kenari (cash), Kelisa (cash), Preve Turbo, Saga VVT
Reasons why I chose this car
- We cannot afford Proton Persona VVT.
- I have experienced driving an Iriz, so I am very satisfied and confident with what Iriz can offer to me and my family for the long term of 9 years.
- I knew the cons of CVT by Proton, and so I want to experience the 1.3MT transmission.
- Before we really decided to go with this Iriz, we also have watched the review of Myvi G3 1.3MT on Youtube (very rare to find because mostly reviewed are the AT transmission) and the interior is too awful compared to the same spec that was offered in Proton Iriz.
- Iriz gives us the trust and confidence to lenjan at high speed (dont try this) and at the same time, Iriz lets us have full control in our hands. The handling experience, it's not a myth!
- I have done: 35,000 km
- My average fuel consumption is: 11 km/l
- Proton Iriz is great for a small family and minimalist traveller. Me, my wife, and my 4 years old daughter.
- Very comfortable for a long distance drive. Never experience any driving fatigueness. Me and my family are quite a long distance traveller due to the nature of my work which needs me to go outstation.
- Not a fuel saver, but depends on driving style. But still cannot beat Myvi fuel consumption.
- The handling experience is best of both worlds, which is great for a daily driven family car and also for track day.
- For the most basic variant, the handling experience and safety package is still considered to be the same level and uncomparable to the premium varian, except for the numbers of the airbags. Anything else is the rim size, media player, and the DRL.
Pros and Cons
Pros of my car
- Handling experience which reflects the confidence level during the straight lane high speed stability and high speed cornering.
- Safety features such as Electronic Stability Control.
- Budget friendly. I can afford to buy and also afford to maintain.
- The design of the front seat is very comfy for long distance drives.
- The design of the rear seat is comfy for long distance drive if compared to the Myvi G3 rear seat, which is quite 90 degree vertical.
- High fuel consumption, compared to Myvi.
- Steering rack is already problematic (freeplay and affects wheel alignment).
- Soundproof can be improved.
- Dashboard design can be improved to give more space for copilot leg room.
- The HVAC controller is still analog.
- The aftermarket body kits and spare parts are very limited compared to Myvi G3.
- The design of the rear seat makes the passengers leg room quite limited if compared to Myvi G3, which has more space for legroom.
- Small boot space for a family. But we still can manage because we are minimalist travelers. We will use IKEA shopping bags for our shirts and toiletries. We do not really bring our luggage, to save more boot space.
Total Score: 5
Quality & Features: 4
Ride comfort: 5
Fuel Economy: 4
Price & cost: 5
Before decide something big for my family, I will always consider to discuss with my wife, looking for her suggestions and views.
Me and my wife almost decided to buy a Preve Turbo, but after doing survey (join Preve owners facebook club) and do calculations and table a projection budget, we cannot afford to maintain a Preve, because of the secondhand condition, and also the fuel consumption.
We have decided to buy another Iriz for our second car because we cannot afford to buy any sedan that is value for money for 9 years term of hire purchase loan. We can afford and maintain a new Saga VVT, but the driving experience is a downgrade for me compared to the Iriz and imagining to bear with it at least for 9 years.
Same goes to Perodua Bezza, it was within our budget but the comfy and driving experience was a downgrade for us.
So, to find a comfy and complete safety package, Iriz is the answer for us, but we have to tolerate on the boot size of a sedan car and for that, we can manage it.
For us, budget, safety and comfy is the main priority.
Since this is the 2nd Proton Iriz, I already have few plans to modify this Iriz. I already bought a spoiler for this Iriz before I got the car because this Iriz does not have a spoiler for a basic varian.
My concept for modification, I always go for a clean and standard look but upgrade the driving performance and experience. I'm not a fan of wide body kits, stance wheels or aeroplane spoiler wings.
When I drove this Iriz out from the Proton CoE, I already tarik the rpm till redline from Shah Alam until Cyberjaya. I just ignored the 90km/h myth for the first 1,000 mileage and from there I noticed the freeplay of my steering rack! But I decided to ignore it first and will complain during the 1,000km service.
So along my drive from Shah Alam to Cyberjaya, the muffler exhaust was too silent. So, on the next day, I changed the stock muffler to the aftermarket S-low muffler and I got the bassy sound. That was my 1st mod on the second day I got this Iriz.
Yes not many are willing to do modifications on the 2nd day of the car ownership because of the warranty provided by the manufacturer. Well, I decided to langgar jelah since driving my car has always been my passion and until today I've been doing a lot of modification to the exhaust system to improve my own driving experience. And, until now I never got this Iriz to be driven on the real track.
One day I will clock in this Iriz in SIC.
After reading a countless number of Owner Review stories, are you interested in sharing your own story also? WapCar sincerely invites YOU to share the genuine feelings of your car!
You may receive special souvenirs from WapCar! Sign up now to know more! WapCar staff will contact you shortly after you sign up.